My GUIDE - The gateway to your german university

Link switches to other language version

Back to "Language and Cultural Studies"

Language and Cultural Studies

Study Romance Studies in Germany

Explore 295 programmes.

Degree programmes in the field of study Romance studies focus on the Romance language family, which includes languages like Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese, for example. In your studies, you will not only deepen your linguistic skills, but also gain more knowledge of the humanities, culture, and literature while studying the history, literature, and cultures of the corresponding Romance languages you have chosen to focus on.


50 Higher Education Institutions

Bachelor, Master, State Examination

German, English, French, Italian, Spanish

2-10 Semesters

What content can I expect?

Degree programmes in Romance studies focus on the Romance language family, i.e., the languages that have developed from Latin. The field of study includes the subject areas:

  • French
  • Italian
  • Portuguese
  • Romance philology, miscellaneous
  • Spanish

You can choose to study one of these languages or to study a combination of the above-mentioned languages.

Two important components of a degree programme in the field of Romance studies are language practice and linguistics. You will learn to speak and write the chosen language(s) at an advanced level while also studying the developmental process, grammar, phonetics, and vocabulary of the languages and their dialects. In the literary studies part of the programme, which is considered equally important, you analyse and interpret literary texts and learn about literary history. In addition, you deal with cultural studies issues and may examine, for example, visual art or music in the context of Romance cultures. The aim is to form a comprehensive understanding of a language and culture, including media and historical references.

Explore degree programmes

Are you interested in an in Language and Cultural Studies? Run a non-binding eligibility check now.

Are there special requirements to study Romance studies?

In order to study Romance studies or a Romance language, it is necessary to have a certain language level. Most higher education institutions require a minimum level of B1 or B2 of the European framework of reference for languages. For this purpose, there are language tests before you start your studies, which help you correctly assess your skill level.

If you are not able to meet the language requirements from the beginning, it is possible at most higher education institutions to start studying anyway (the non-language modules) and to acquire the necessary language skills during the first semesters.

In order to enrol at the higher education institution, you must have obtained the general higher education entrance qualification or an equivalent. An NC, a minimum grade average, is usually not required for Romance studies. At some higher education institutions, however, applicants may have to pass an internal aptitude test.

Before applying, you should be aware that the degree programmes are very diverse and that you can choose between language-focused degree programmes and fields of study that specialise in business or intercultural issues.

How are Romance studies structured?

In the early semesters of a degree programme in Romance studies, you will be trained in linguistics, literature and cultural studies. From the middle of your studies, you can often specialise further and delve more deeply into specific areas.

For a Bachelor’s programme you can expect a standard period of study of usually six semesters and for a Master’s programme it normally is four semesters. Many Romance studies programmes are also offered as a teacher training programme.

There is a special feature with Bachelor’s degree programmes: Often you can decide whether you want to take a subject/language as a single-subject programme or combine it with one or two minor subjects. Depending on whether you choose one or two minor subjects, the required number of credit points to be achieved is adjusted.

How much does it cost to study a Romance studies programme?

Studying in Germany is free of charge at most public higher education institutions. However, a contribution must often be paid once a semester to the student union and to cover administrative costs. The semester contribution, in German Semestergebühr, usually ranges between 100–400 euros. Sometimes your semester contribution covers a ticket for local public transport or you can purchase a discounted ticket. Depending on where you study, this may be valid for the city, the region or even for all of Germany. Ask your higher education institution whether such an offer is currently available.

Rents vary depending on the city you want to study in. In large cities, housing is often scarce and expensive, while in smaller cities it is comparatively affordable. In any case, student halls of residence are usually your cheapest option. As soon as you have decided on where you want to study, you should start looking, as halls of residence can fill up quickly. , you can find information on local halls of residence and the respective application process for most cities.

To finance your studies in Germany, you should also find out about scholarships. There are many different scholarship programmes and excellent grades are not the only deciding factor. You can learn more about scholarships  and find suitable programmes directly on My GUIDE.

Where can I find work with a degree in Romance Studies?

Your possible jobs after graduation are as diverse as the fields of study. Graduates of Romance studies can pursue careers in the internal and external communication units of large companies, in the media sector or, with suitable training, in the field of translation. Other institutions with a linguistic and cultural connection are also possible employers.

What else is there to know about Romance studies?

Some higher education institutions offer you the option of graduating with an international double degree. In this case, two higher education institutions cooperate and the students complete their studies in equal parts in Germany and at the partner institution abroad. In the case of a double degree programme, the potential fees of the higher education institution abroad are often covered as part of the cooperation. Nevertheless, you should budget for additional costs for stays in other countries.

At many universities, the study of Romance languages and literature, especially the study of the various languages, can be combined with a teacher training programme. Since many of the courses in the first semesters are the same, it is thus possible in some cases to follow a Bachelor’s programme with a Master’s programme in teaching. With the appropriate addition of didactic subjects, you might be able to change to a teacher training programme in the course of your degree. If you want to finish your degree with a state examination, additional courses may have to be taken.

Explore degree programmes

Check your eligibility to study at German higher education institutions (non-binding)

Run a quick and non-binding check to determine whether your certificates make you eligible to study at German higher education institutions. Depending on which educational certificates you provide, you may qualify for all degree programmes or only for certain subjects or types of higher education institutions. It is possible that you do not currently meet the requirements to be eligible to apply to a German higher education institution. In such a case, you may be able to attend a Studienkolleg. Please note that the eligibility check results apply exclusively to undergraduate programmes and are not legally binding.

Once you have completed the non-binding check, degree programmes that match your eligibility will be marked with a corresponding icon.