German as a Foreign Language/German as a Second Language
Mainz University • University • Mainz
- Main instruction language
- Standard length of studies
- 4 semesters
- Master of Arts (Master of Arts)
- Admission requirements (Germany)
- 1. Proof of Bachelor's exam
in a modern philology
in the subject Business Education with focus on German or
in cultural studies with a cross-cultural focus (at least 30 credits and/or 12 hours per semester week)
in an education science course with a cross-cultural focus (at least 30 credits and/or 12 hours per semester week)
or a degree from a university in Germany or abroad that does not differ significantly from the aforementioned courses.
2. Proof of linguistic knowledge (basics) amounting to 4 credit hours or at least 6 CP and proof of graded achievements (if not already confirmed as part of the course). If proof is not available, enrolment can take place on condition that the required graded achievements will be acquired by the end of the first subject-related semester. The relevant events will be determined by the student advisory department.
If proof is not presented to the examination board by the above mentioned deadline, it will not be possible to carry on with the course: the matriculation will be cancelled with no further communication.
3. Students are expected to have sufficient English language skills to be able to read English-language literature (corresponding to level B2 of the European Framework of Reference). In addition, basic knowledge is expected in at least one other language (corresponding to level B1 of the CERF).
4. In addition, applicants from non-German-speaking countries must provide proof of command of German at the level of the ''German Language Test for Admission to Higher Education (DSH)'' DSH-3 or TestDaF level 5 (listening comprehension: TDN4 admissible) or an equivalent test at CEFR level C2. In compliance with the university's DSH examination ordinance, Part A, §1, section 4, a temporary enrolment can take place if language proficiency of level DSH-2, TDN4 or C1 can be submitted; the required language proficiency can be acquired within one study year.
5. In addition, an aptitude interview of usually 15 minutes but at least 10 minutes is used to discover whether or not the applicant has the required subject-specific skills as well as sufficient motivation to successfully complete the Master's course German as a Foreign Language/German as a Second Language.
During the aptitude interview the particular requirements for this Master's course and the expectations of the applicant will be discussed. Assessment criteria are linguistic competence, cross-cultural skills, professional experience in organisation, cultural work, teaching, youth work or social care as well as suitability for the teaching profession.
- Admission requirements (Link)
- Admission Semester
- Winter Semester only
- Admission Mode
- selection by the HEI
- Lecture Period
- 19.10.2020 - 13.02.2021
These data have been kindly made available to the DAAD by the German Rectors' Conference .